The Festival Cup was first won by the “City” in 1958 and they dominated the event for many years.
Llanfair. Pwll first won the tournament in 1973, when they defeated Menai Bridge in the final, which was played on the “Town Hall” green. The Team that evening was:- David Thomas, Harold Blain, Emyr Buckland, Glyn Parry, Glyn Jones, Frank Ellinson, Elwyn Evans, John Griffiths, Robin Roberts (R.T.), John Gareth Parry, Hwfa Roberts and Gwynfor Parry.
This was the first time in the history of the competition that an Anglesey side had been successful.
The Cup was presented to the Bangor and District League in 1958 by Sir Clayton Russon, President of the Festival of Wales. The Festival of Wales coincided with the British and Empire Games, with the opening ceremony held at the Cardiff Arms Park.
The first puppet theatre to be built in Wales, namely the Harlequin Puppet Theatre, based at Rhos on Sea was opened in 1958 by Sir Clayton Russon.
In 1974, Llanfair. Pwll successfully defended the Festival Cup again. In the Final they defeated a strong Bangor City outfit. The Anglesey side won quite convincingly 8-4 to keep their hands on the coveted trophy, The match was played at Llangefni, in persistent rain.
The club is grateful to Gwynfor Parry for the use of his research.